The Church began from modest beginnings in about 1882 with Miss Kate Buee, a local Doctor's daughter, visiting homes in the area and starting a regular meeting in one of the cottages in Stoke Gardens. To this day the Church continues this tradition of concern for the individual and for sharing the Good News of Jesus.
The community grew with the influx of Great Western Railway employees, until between two and three thousand people were living north of the railway. Algernon Gilliat built them a Mission Church, with a schoolroom and kitchen, in 1885. In 1905 it was decided to form a new parish, Mr.Gilliat gave money for the building of a new church, constructed by Henry Flint of High Wycombe, and later a vicarage.
The church, built on land given by the Messrs. Nash who owned a local brick-making company, cost some £10,000 and was faced externally and internally with Messrs. Nash’s best red bricks. The new Parish of St Paul’s was constituted from part of the parishes of Stoke Poges and Upton-cum-Chalvey. The first vicar was the Revd. Robert Sinker, who had been a minister at the old Mission Church. St. Paul’s Church was consecrated on the 12th of November 1906 by the Bishop of Oxford.
A Vicarage was also built with a donation by Mr. Gilliat. After his death in 1925, a Memorial Fund was started, and the Gilliat Hall was opened in November, 1933.
These pictures are courtesy of Slough Museum & Library